I had a dream...

 A dream of a laundry room.


For years I have wanted a proper laundry room. Laundry gets on top of me. Quite a lot of stuff getting on top of me at the moment, to be honest, but that's due to my life choices and I'm happy with those so I shouldn't really complain. To be clear, we're renovating this huge place, I have two young children, three big dogs, my parents are moving in because they require increasing amounts of attention, I help my husband and brother with their businesses, I volunteer and I work. Given all this, taking on another new dog seems a perfectly reasonable decision, no? 

No, definitely not, but nonetheless it's happening. I filled out the application form today. Meanwhile I get to relax while dealing with the never ending piles of laundry in my new lavanderia. It's not as fancy as I would have gone had circumstances been easier and it's more modern than I'd ideally like but I needed it to be quick and simple and I wanted it to be super user friendly.

As a reminder, a few months ago and as per my previous post restarting the blog (which I promptly then re-abandoned), it looked like this:



Basically, she was a hole. The previous post showed us working on the roof, as this was then an open courtyard, but we added on a roof both to make the lavanderia and to extend the terrace above, which you will definitely see later as it's attached to my favourite room.



Here she is now:


Slab doors, easy to manage, a sink, washing machine, dryer and a door to outside, where the washing lines will eventually be. Right now it's some unfinished concrete and quite a bit of mud, with the dishwasher dumped in it. There's plenty of storage, worktop space for folding and sorting, plus a heated towel rail and hanging area for those (fortunately fairly rare) times when we can't line dry here in Spain


.It's exactly what I need and no more. I did give her some pretty, patterned floor tiles to jazz her up - she's sensible but not that boring. She stills knows how to party.

As I don't currently have a kitchen, the lavanderia of dreams is unfortunately also being used as a kitchen, plus a wardrobe and storeroom, but this is a temporary situation and I trust she'll forgive me.

A smart lavanderia and a massive outdoor drying area might be a bit of an indulgence but we have the space and with six of us in the house, there's a LOT of washing, drying and ironing. None of us want to see my underwear laying around the house in laundry baskets so there's a lot of pressure on this little room. Is it too much to ask that she'll change my life?

Comments